Friday, February 21, 2020

Agriculture Is A Part of You Today and Everyday


I was lucky enough to be part of the 1% that was raised on a family farm that my parents still manage today. It was a no brainer for me to study agricultural in college and eventually find myself working at Successful Farming.

My days on the farm in the hog barn, in the sweet corn patch, or out in the pastures have changed to a commute to downtown Des Moines. Although, I make it home for the important parts of the year – planting, harvest, sweet corn season and family holidays, I’ve enjoyed a new beginning in the city.

But what I’ve come to realize is, no matter where you live, agriculture is a part of you.

Take one of my favorite quotes for instance.

“My grandfather used to say that once in your life you need a doctor, lawyer, policeman, or preacher but every day – three times a day – you need a farmer.” – Brenda Schoepp

To me that, really couldn’t be any truer. Doctors, lawyers, policeman and preachers are all vital parts of our fundamental lives, but so are our dedicated farmers.

Where does the food come from that you enjoy three times every day? What’s on your dinner menu tonight? Maybe some casserole you’ve been looking forward to whipping up for a couple weeks. Better yet, what’s on your back currently? A cotton t-shirt?

Moving to the city has made me realize that even though I’m not part of the farm directly, I still reap the benefits of family farmers at my grocery store, at the mall and so many more places.

National Ag Day today is the perfect day to go tour a farm, talk to a local farmer and think about where the food came from that’s on your breakfast, lunch and dinner plates today and every day.

For farmers it’s the time to celebrate and share their ag story to the next generation of farmers and urban residents like myself now. America’s farmers are in this together, providing nutritional products right to your grocery store.

So not only today, but everyday agriculture is a part of you, no matter where you live. Happy National Agriculture Day!

Submitted by Emma Wilson, Digital Content Editor, Meredith Agrimedia