- Everyone has to eat! Increased knowledge of agriculture and nutrition allows individuals to make informed personal choices about diet and health.
- Informed citizens make informed policies. Informed policy-making will support a competitive agricultural industry in this country and abroad.
- A strong ag economy generates jobs! Employment opportunities exist across the board in agriculture. Career choices include:
- farm production
- agribusiness management and marketing
- agricultural research and engineering
- food science and technology
- food processing and retailing
- banking and finance
- landscape architecture and forestry
- biofuels and biotechnology
- Because agriculture touches each person on the planet, a general understanding for its practices is necessary and beneficial for everyone to know -- not just for the people who produce the world's food supply. We like to call this understanding agricultural literacy, which includes knowledge of agriculture’s history as well as how current economic, social and environmental issues affect all Americans.
Thursday, February 25, 2010
It's Important to Know About Agriculture
Here are just some of the key reasons why it's important to recognize - and celebrate - Ag Day each year: